Saturday, December 11, 2010

Impressive! Impressive! Impressive!



I saw the film "Un Chien Andalou" for the first time in a survey of mass media course my Junior year and I didn't think much of the film to start. In fact, I felt much like the girl above, in one of the first scenes on the movie. The second opportunity to see the film came a year later in my Art and Technology course and it made me realize the importance of what I was watching. To appreciate this film a viewer needs to keep in mind the skill and know-how necessary in order to create these transitions but more importantly the extreme lack of editing tools, absence of digital effects and the low quality of the recording equipment used; from a technical aspect the film was well done.
Luis Bunuel was a co-producer on the film with renowned artist Salvador Dali when the movie originally debuted in 1929. The film was constructed with many series of clips that were totally separate from each other in aspects of time, location, and characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment