Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Earthquake 1974

Have you heard of it? No. Neither have I until the recency of the past couple days. This movie was hailed for its ability to capture the chaos, anguish and the true terror felt by those living through the crisis of an earthquake, as well as the grueling rebuilding that lingers on for years to come. So after watching a few clips to gain an insight into the movie's theme it was difficult to resist the initial reaction to pre-digital age effects and quality yet the more and more I watched it became necessary to place myself in a theater in the 1970's and see this movie for the first time. As soon as I began to view the movie with a predated mind set I was finally able to get into the movie, to feel the buildings crashing, leaning from side to side in my chair attempting to avoid the dangers of falling concrete, wood, signs and, worst of all, people.
Pretending wasn't enough though (my imagination has lost touch with the one I remember from childhood) and I had to ask the people who were there, who saw not only the movie itself but were all well aware of the devastation the real life earthquake caused. So I went to my parents in hopes of hearing stories about their 'first experience' or to only hear what the world was like in the 70's would have sufficed. Well I apologize but I have heard neither; simply, "We didn't have television and I never got to see the movie." Which I suppose can be marked up as something to be great full for it was rather disappointing. They did however comment on the fact that they feel saddened by the many great movies of their era that have been forgotten about in the world of entertainment. Fighting to the point that these movies have brought film and hollywood to the conglomerate-sized business it has become.

No comments:

Post a Comment